Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sunday Morning in New Delhi (Saturday night in US)

Well, we've had our first day in India. Yesterday I walked around in a somewhat familiar heat for several hours (those of you in South Texas know what it felt like). We saw some amazing buildings, including the Indian version of our National Mall, with India Gate at one end, and the Secretariat at the other. Apparently there were monkeys on the government buildings, but I didn't see any.

We also started our official seminar in the evening. I got to meet Mr. Gupta, my cooperating teacher from here in New Delhi. He is an advanced mathematics teacher who works with forms 10, 11, and 12. He talked about how well his students understand the basics of functional relationships (especially trigonometry) which amazed me. He loves to teach math and has been doing so for 17 years. He will show me his textbooks later this week and we'll talk more about our different styles (his students always work by themselves and he gives them all the properties and information they need before they try problems). I am really looking forward to learning from him.

I am going to try and put a picture up ... we'll see if it works!

Keep posting questions and comments. Good luck to Anam as she leaves for China! Ian, I am researching movies for your every day. Katie, I love the food!

No comments: