Monday, July 23, 2007

Catching Up

We had an incredible day in Kochi, with an amazing welcome at a school (over 100 young ladies dressed in costumes and holding flower petals to honor our visit, and a drum line we followed in thru the gates). We also got to see some neat parts of this island city by boat this evening as the sun set over the water.

I have finally been able to put up a few pictures from the last several days, but don't want to do too much at once. I will answer a few of the questions asked in comments (don't worry Ian, I haven't forgotten about the movie question, and am still doing research so I can get you a good answer).

We have only really experienced a monsoon in Bhubaneswar where we got poured on. There has been some flooding here in Kochi over the past couple of weeks (according to the locals), but it didn't rain here today. I guess we've been lucky with our travels and avoided most of the bad stuff. It is humid, though ... really humid.

As for the math classes and curriculum, that is something I'm still studying. Most of the material is the same, but is done in a different sequence, or taught at a different grade level. So far, in every class I've visited, the medium is English so I am able to follow along, complete the problems, and often jump in with comments, additions, and my own questions. It has been a neat experience to see these classes and think of ways they are similar to and different from my own classes. It's been good for me to observe and do comparisons.

I'm off to sleep land, but will try to post again soon. Tomorrow we'll visit a college and learn more about this city with a huge Christian population and historical ties to Portugal.

2 comments:

ISSN GPS/CF Task Shell Feedback Blog said...

Jenn Zinn! I've been following your journey through these wonderful postings that have been so descriptive and insightful.

This weekend, India named Pratibha Patil president, making her the first woman president of India (and of the world's most populous democracy!). What has the reaction been there?

In much of your writing, you describe things that seem contradictory, but still exist in the same time and space. Is having a woman president and womens' place in society one of those instances or is there equality between gender, more or less?

Hope your travels continue to be safe and a great learning adventure.

Aimee Horowitz said...

Hey Jenn:

It is great to catch up on your travels. It sounds like a great adventure. Love the henna on your hand. What have you learned about math education? I am in a weeklong pd for technology - I actually set up a school blogpage today - www.insidecsi.blogspot.com. This is a big thing for me. Interviewing three Earth Science teachers tomorrow. Hope one is good! Enjoy your day tomorrow! Miss you!