Sunday, July 15, 2007

Smiles are Worth more than a Thousand Words

Today we arrived in a new city: Bhubaneswar in the state of Orissa, on the coast south of Kolkata. I wasn't able to see much of the city yet, but can already feel the difference when in a town of only about 600,000 (rather than over 10 million). The people are, of course, very nice, and welcoming. Tonight we saw students dance the classical tribal dance in a recital at a local community center. The similarities between our cultures continue to grow on me.

I wanted to address Liana's comment from the other day, about whether or not the government is doing anything to help the "untouchables." I have mixed feelings about what I've learned and what I've seen in this area. My gut reaction is to say that from the LOOKS of things, the government is most interested in showing a strong and modern image to the world. It seems to be focusing it's resources on technology training, outsources to foreign companies, and the Indian Stock Market (which is a popular place to invest right now, from what I'm told). In the meantime, the PEOPLE seem to be the ones left behind. Because the rest of the world isn't looking in small villages, or along the sidewalks, or inside the shacks that make up the "slums" of the big cities, the government doesn't SEEM to be doing anything about it.

BUT, I will say that there is a growing sense of SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. We have visited several schools where community service is an integral part of the children's lives, and since schools are allowed to talk about religion and do prayers in school, there is also a sense of moral education going on. So there is a growth of concern for others, and every student I've talked with has a genuine interest in contributing something back to India (though some have different ideas of how they'll want to do that, through academic work, charity work, etc.). I am sure that there are members of the government who do CARE, and who are working hard to ensure that all citizens of this beautiful country are being treated fairly. I guess for me, it doesn't quite feel like it yet.

But the poor have strength in ways I think Americans can't really understand. I have never heard anyone complain here -- not the drivers who are cut off, the students who get only bread to eat at school, or the teachers who are reassigned to schools all across the country without the ability to refuse. The people here are very peaceful, content, and make the best of what they've got. The students we met in the village school yesterday were as kind as the ones from the private school the day before. And their smiles are just as contagious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and all the pictures you have on it