Friday, July 6, 2007

So Much to Say

I have many things to tell you all, but won't try to do it in this forum. I'll save my journal writing and my notes to make sure I don't miss any details.

I had an incredible day visiting Mr Ajay's school where I was the guest of honor and was treated like royalty. I met some great teachers, the award-winning principal (nothing like what we do in the US, though), and a lot of amazing students. I got to teach a class and talk to another one, met with students who are writing articles for the International Insider, and teach Mr. Ajay how to use Geometer's Sketchpad. I spoke at the all school assembly (see picture at right) and talked with the math department about our different methodologies (though there were many similarities as well). It was a wonderful experience to see what a school here is like ... for example, my colleague and I walked into a room where a physics lesson was taking place; when we entered the teacher stopped what she was doing and left while the students got their math notebooks out and started taking notes. An interesting and quick transition.

I have so many things I've been thinking about ... philosophical things the value of which I don't want to diminish by rushing to write about. Today we had the amazing experience of being a panel of 16 American teachers to a room of 99 (no, I didn't count them all) Indian teachers convened from all over the country. They hit us with a lot of questions, some of which were tough to answer without starting a political debate. We got a lot of applause, though, especially when I mentioned that we all think Hindi should be taught in more schools in the US (Mrs. H, what do you think?). The event has got my mind spinning about what the real differences are between our two systems ... is it culture? philosophy? strategy? methodology? beliefs? I don't know yet, but I'll keep working on it.

Tomorrow we are off to a new city and a new phase of the adventure. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Mrs. Kaplan said...

Did I hear writing articles for the Insider. Cooooooool! Hey, Zinn, I miss ya! Been chillin' in Brooklyn working on the exchange trip. Sent a bunch of emails to schools in Holland and Mr. G says he may have a school for us in Venice. Mr. G, his wife, me and hopefully some CSI kids will be loading the container for Africa next Saturday. We'll be at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn.

Peace!

Nancy