Monday, July 9, 2007

The City of Knowledge

Varanasi (also known as Baranas) is a center of studies and education, and so I have thought a lot about schools and visited a university where Ghandi addresses the Women's College in 1942. The city is also a religious center of this country because of the Hindu's belief in the holiness of the water in the Ganga (we call it the Ganges). They travel here from all around in order to bath in the waters. Yesterday I met a brilliant man who has studied the science of the river and started a non-government organization to try and clean it up because he realizes the dangers of the pollution ... but he is so devoted to his religion that he still bathes in it every day. He was the embodiment of the polarization of our world today: how can the logic of science co-exist with the passion of religion?

I continue to learn from what I see and hear on this trip. Yesterday included several hours of driving and walking so I got a chance to see what life is like for the people who live here. I have seen many children without enough clothes. I have seen many families crowded under a meager shelter waiting for food to arrive. I have been prodded by beggars near the river asking for money. I have been in the home of a young artist who does batik and weaves silk with his father. I have ridden on cycle-rickshaws through very crowded streets and been stared at like I was from another planet. I feel like that is how they see me .. and wonder if I am looking at them the same way or not.

Tonight we will take an overnight train to Kalkutta (Calcutta). I look forward to another adventure there and I know that I will have more questions and observations as we travel through this beautiful country.

3 comments:

judy zinn said...

I see that Varanasi is the most sacred city along the "Ganga Ma", so I guess you have seen many, many Hindi at the river itself. You description of the young man working on the clean up and going into the river every day speaks of the many problems to be overcome and solved all along the river, not just in Varanasi.

You mention the poor and the well-educated. Have you noticed the caste system per se as it effects even those in the "middle class"?

I'm learning lots from your blogs.
Thank you.

MA

Aimee Horowitz said...

It sounds like you are having an amazing time. It actually is not surprising that someone who is trying to get the Ganges cleaned up actually still bathes in it everyday. Did you also see people washing their clothes in the Ganges?

I do know that the Indian Constitution outlawed the caste system and discrimination based on caste. However, I was wondering if poverty still has to do with caste and being an untouchable or if that is a thing of the past. I know there were subcastes called jatis that could be based on jobs. Does that still exist?

Your photos are amazing and although I have not been posting, I have been reading and living vicariously. I am in DC for summer institute. Had dinner with Liz tonight in Chinatown and then we walked back to the hotel. Just doing some work and relaxing now. Looking forward to reading more of your blog! Have fun!

Aimee

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ms. Zinn. Everything sounds so incredible and beautiful. It sounds like an amazing experience and I'm truly envious of all the learning you're doing. I'll be sure to read this, like everyday. I hope all is well. What's the food like?