Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Welcome to Kolkata

First, let me address a couple of comments. The food, Lianna, is amazing. I have enjoyed more delights than I could try to count, and even though I shy away from the spicy stuff, I am still able to enjoy a wide variety of foods. I know Mrs. Francis knows of a good Indian food place on S.I. ... I'll want to check it out when I get back. As for the Caste system: Yes, it still exists only in that some people in the former "untouchable" caste aren't getting access to the same education that others are. I think it is now more like the class system that we have at home, where the poor are getting poor-er because they aren't able to work their way out of it. I have also seen some domestic help (butlers, maids, etc) at schools being treated with little respect, though they are often the first to look us visitors in the eye. I have made sure to treat everyone equally ... and was thrilled to see a large group of children cleary from that group (you can tell the differences visualy most of the time) in a museum in Varanasi. It felt nice to see that they were learning about the history of India and had access to that experience. All in all, I'd say that although the System is legally gone, there is still a major difference in the way people are treated and certainly in how monies are allocated for education.

Back to my narrative: This morning we arrived by train (yes, it was a long ride; yes, it was a small bed; yes, we were delayed be several hours; yes, it was a WONDERFUL experience) in Kolkata. But before I tell of the city, I must talk of the train experience. The platform on which we sat was a cultural immersion unto itself: children sniffing glue and trying to sell fruit to passengers, security agents pushing people around with giant sticks, porters waiting for their tip as payment for moving the Americans' heavy bags, an oppressive and humid heat that made it hard to breath, the constant mutter of announcements in incomprehensible Hindi, the loud blaring of engine horns to indicate forthcoming movement, and the anticipation of an overnight ride that couldn't start too soon. We crowded into our air-conditioned slots and only felt cramped because our bags are so big. It was a peaceful ride, though, and I did sleep quite a bit. In fact we were lucky for the delay so we could see the rice fields and townships that we passed along the way this morning in the light of day. This truly is a beautiful country with a lot to offer.

Now, for the new location. This city of intellect is bustling with people (is it possible it feels more crowded than the other two cities we've seen?). The first interesting fact I learned was that there are 60,000 taxis in this city ... can you imagine that? There are yellow cars (just like the ones in NYC) everywhere, and at least ten people on the sidewalk for every one of them. The short ride to the hotel showed a small portion of the city, including a fairly new bridge that floats on the water and is not secured to the ground in any way. Cool, huh?

This afternoon we met with teachers, a principal, and students, and enjoyed a lovely discussion about what the education system could be like, and what it's really like. I connected with each of the students and felt compelled to ask them a probing question (I know that surprises all of you to know that I put them on the spot and asked them to think!). They were each very bright and articulate and fed the hunger my brain is feeling for more knowledge about this place. They have all promised to email and stay in touch, as well as to write for the Insider (yahoo!).

I must tell you that I have heard more philosophies in the past few days that match the work we are trying to do than those that oppose it. I got a slew of books for our school, the staff, the students, myself, and anyone who is interested in how learning can help make the world a better place. It is still hard to look around and see that so many aren't getting access to it ... but there is good work being done by those who want to make a change in the world.

2 comments:

Mrs. Kaplan said...

Hey, Jenn!

I've sent you some emails but apparently you aren't checking those. So, I wanted to get this message to you. I got a school for the exchange. It's in Carvin, France (northern France right near the Belgium border). They will host us in February and will come to us in September of 2008.

By sending emails to the consulates of many countries, I received numerous responses. This teacher made a commitment first and is in constant contact with me. She is doing a year long study of American History with her students and is doing a special project on NYC, its art and architecture. How cool is that.

Anyway, miss ya!

Nancy

LEEINZ<3 said...

A bridge floating on water alone, i'd be so afraid. that is awesome though, it's really weird sometimes seeing how those children are so thankful for the little they have, and often times they're brighter than some american students who have been aided in their learning with the assistance of technology. I hope you're enjoying yourself. Is the government doing anything to stop the poor, or formerly 'untouchable' caste from becoming poorer? Is their anything we can do? Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, can other people, outside the hindi people bathe in the river? Why is it so dangerous?